cheat.dat Update Project

If you are having problems finding or using cheats for an Emulator (particularly MAME/MESS) or have found a trick that you wish to share this is the place to do it. But please read the Cheat FAQ first.
Tourniquet

cheat.dat Update Project

Post by Tourniquet »

I don't know if anyone else is aware of this but some guy has publically expressed his desire to continue updating Pugsy's cheat.dat.

He obviously isn't aware that most games post-0.56 already have cheats or of the existence of this forum.

The site is at http://mamecheats.fateback.com/cheats/ and he's obviously put a significant amount of effort to set up the site. However, I'm not sure whether he realises the effort involved :wink:.

Shall we contact him?
Mike_Haggar

Post by Mike_Haggar »

Well... we could send him all the cheat databases that are public avaliable anyway, and see what he comes up with ;)
Member of the FinalBurn Alpha Team
http://fba.emuunlim.com/
stephh

Re: cheat.dat Update Project

Post by stephh »

Tourniquet wrote: I don't know if anyone else is aware of this but some guy has publically expressed his desire to continue updating Pugsy's cheat.dat.

He obviously isn't aware that most games post-0.56 already have cheats or of the existence of this forum.

The site is at http://mamecheats.fateback.com/cheats/ and he's obviously put a significant amount of effort to set up the site. However, I'm not sure whether he realises the effort involved :wink:.
I agree that the guy must somewhere not be aware of this board, or at least he doesn't want to look at the old posts (remember that EVERYTHING is archived) ...

"I would think about once every week or two depending on how many new cheats get donated."

The fact is that there are many posts when a new MAME is out, then there is a major slowdown (which isn't surprising) ... So a new file could be made once I have posted my cheats, then wait for one week to see if other cheats are posted and release an updated file, then wait for next MAME release, and so on ...

There is also something that the guy has to know : from time to time, someone finds cheats for "old" games and/or fixes bugs in Pugsy's file, then he posts his findings here ... And these modifications MUST be included in the updated file ! FYI, I've noticed MANY "problems" with Pugsy's file !

As far as I'm concerned, as I said in a previous post, I don't want to write the cheats in 2 different "formats", which means that I'm using a specific way of describing the cheats ("?UP" first and 29 chars max), and I don't want to use standard/Pugsy's way to do so ... So, if the guy wants to "convert" my cheats, I'll let him do it ... Of course, I'm not speaking of having cheats in old and new cheat engine format ...

IMO, if the guy only wants to recieve cheats via a copy/paste in a mail, this would be almost impossible to avoid his mailbox being full quickly : I'm mainly thinking about K.'s cheats for the fighting games which can be LONG ... I know he wants to avoid viruses, but the better way to have an archive is to have .zip files ...

As for the effort in maintaining the cheat database, it's far less work than a couple of years ago, when there were more "regular" cheat finders and that a new MAME was out every 2 or 3 weeks (and sometimes even less, remember the 35 beta cycle) ...

That's my 0.02 euro ...
Shall we contact him?
At least send him a mail telling to read this post :wink:

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

Visit Image The Ultimate Patchers' site Image
ianpatt

Post by ianpatt »

If everyone's OK with this, we could ask this person to just compile a cheat database from all the cheats that are posted on this messageboard. Usually all games are covered shortly after the release of a new version.
Tourniquet

Post by Tourniquet »

I sent the guy a mail to bring him upto speed and tell him we exist.
It would be nice for Pugsy's dat to continue, although I haven't been willing to take the entire burden myself I would still like to be involved.
stephh

Post by stephh »

ianpatt wrote: If everyone's OK with this, we could ask this person to just compile a cheat database from all the cheats that are posted on this messageboard. Usually all games are covered shortly after the release of a new version.
As for MAME Testers board, I think that the cheats first need to be "validated" by "official" cheat finders to avoid ?#! posts about wrong/not working cheats ... I can check almost all of them ('propcycl' apart of course :wink: ) and I only need someone who can verify the NEOGEO cheats ...
Tourniquet wrote: I sent the guy a mail to bring him upto speed and tell him we exist.
Could you forward me the mail you send him and his reply ? Thanks by advance for what you can do ...
Tourniquet wrote: It would be nice for Pugsy's dat to continue, although I haven't been willing to take the entire burden myself I would still like to be involved.
I also would like Pugsy's cheat.dat not to fall into oblivion ... The only "problem" (I repeat it again) is that I will NOT change my descriptions and I know that Pugsy (as well as I) wanted to have an "homogene" cheat database ...

Let's hope that Pugsy is only having a break (even if I admit it's a LONG break) ...

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

Visit Image The Ultimate Patchers' site Image
kelvSYC

Post by kelvSYC »

Well, having been away the last few days working on my web site, I have these comments to say:

It's appreciated that someone is willing to follow in Pugsy's footsteps, but it's not when they don't check the appropriate sources.

My suspicions are that it could be a user registered on this forum, but I will not point fingers.

But once things are sorted out, things will be fine.
kelvSYC's Guide to the Cheat Engine - http://members.shaw.ca/kelvsyc/cheatguide.html

The New Move List Cheat Collection - http://mamecheat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6469

Underscore Command - What better game is there?